Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter
• 1 cup finely chopped white onion (1 Large onion)
• 3 cloves grated fresh garlic
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 2 cups fresh Nutmegs Kitchen Vegan Broth, 2 cups of water
• 1 cup dried JAR orange split lentils
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 clove
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1 teaspoon celery salt, or to taste
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• Thick double cream yogurt or coconut cream to garnish
Make sure all of your ingredients are prepared, organised and ready.
In a medium-sized heavy based soup pot, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the onion, stirring often, until the chopped onion is almost translucent, about 4 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and spices and finish sweating the onion.
Next we’re going to add the water, broth and lentils, bringing it to a low boil, then turn down the heat to low and let simmer covered, until lentils are very tender. This will take about 20-30 minutes depending on lentil freshness.
Then we will stir in the tomato paste until well combined. Let the dhal cook for several more minutes, or until the soup is at the desired consistency and season with salt. You may need to adjust consistency with water but this is all up to personal preference- I like my dhal quite thick.
Garnish your delicious dhal with a dollop of double cream yogurt or coconut cream if you’re eating plant based. I serve mine piping hot with torn pieces of toasted ciabatta.
With love from Megs,
Follow on Instagram: nutmegsskitchen