Bake up a batch of these delicious Vegan Hot Cross Buns to make your Easter celebration complete!
3 1/3 cups of cake flour
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1 cup of Nova choc chips
1/3 cup oil
1 cup warm plant-based milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Crosses:
3 tablespoons cake flour
2 1/2 tablespoons plant-based milk
For the Glaze:
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In your mixing bowl add in all your dry ingredients and mix.
- Warm-up your plant-based milk slightly.
- Add all your wet ingredients to your dry mix and combine until a dough forms.
- Flour your kitchen surface and knead your dough for 5 minutes.
- Roll your dough out into a long sausage about 40-45cm long and slice into even balls of about 4-5 cm.
- Place the balls into your oiled baking dish and bake for allow to rise for 30 minutes covered in a warm place.
- While your dough finishes rising mix together the ingredients for your crosses and place the mix into your piping bag.
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C.
- Pipe the crosses onto your buns and place them in the oven thank bake for 25-30 minutes.
- While your hot cross buns finish baking in the oven, start with your glaze by placing the water and sugar in a sauce pan on the stove at medium to high heat. Continue to stir until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved, mix in the vanilla and remove from heat.
- Remove your buns from oven and brush with the glaze straight away and enjoy!
*Recipe and photos by Michaela Leach @health_alignment